About us

ABOUT US

Amar Singh Club, Jammu was founded by the then Ruler of Jammu & Kashmir State, Maharaja Hari Singh Ji in early 1930’s at Ajaib Ghar, which is today known as the Assembly Hall. At that time the Maharaja allotted one half of the building for setting up of a museum (therefore, the name- Ajaib Ghar). The other half of the building was converted into a Club, primarily as a meeting place of the Government officers of the Maharaja. A similar institution was started in Srinagar simultaneously, which became Amar Singh Club, Srinagar.

Sh. R L Bhalla, one of the senior most members of the club having become a member in 1953 recalls that sometimes after independence, probably in the early Fifties, the aura and the grace of the club was such that only a handful of top businessmen and other known personalities of the State were enrolled as members, which was otherwise deemed to be an officers’ club.

Sh. Ved Bhasin, another senior member and prominent citizen, reminisces, “Such was the grandeur of the club in those days, that it was adorned with the choicest Persian Carpets, Antique Carved Wood Furniture, Wall Sized Belgian Mirrors and Crystal Chandeliers.” Some of these antiques have stood the test of time and can still be seen in the Club. Sh Bhasin remembers that in those days eminent people like the legendary Pt. Prem Nath Dogra, leader of the Praja Parishad, Sh. NH Samnani, MP and reputed journalistwere frequenting the Club regularly.

In 1959, when the popular Government decided to construct the new Secretariat, the vacant land behind the Assembly Hall was chosen as the site and the Club was shifted to a small building at Kachi Chawni which houses the Ranbir Library today.
Finally, the Club undertook another journey, this time to a small building in Bikram chowk in 1963-64 and this happens to be it’s current location. From it’s inception to the Eighties, the club remained mostly a male domain. Participation of ladies and families was minimal. There were exceptions, though, and Ms. S W Shaw, educationist and Principal of Women’s College was even in those days a regularmember.

The main impetus to bring this club at par with other reputed clubs in the country came in the Nineties, when overall development in a focused manner was undertaken. New structures like the Card Room, Family Lounge and Restaurant were added by the then committee. Ladies and families started participating in Club activities. Slowly the club started being known as a family place and the previous image of being a watering hole for drinkers and card players was erased.

The Executive Committee of the time had tried its best to take this club tot new heights and the development done is there all to see. and all this has been done solely from the members’ contribution and no financial grant in aid has ever been given to this club from the government. We have tried to acquaint our members especially the newer members with the history of the institution which is so dear to all of us.
Sh. R L Bhalla, one of the senior most members of the club having become a member in 1953 recalls that sometimes after independence, probably in the early Fifties, the aura and the grace of the club was such that only a handful of top businessmen and other known personalities of the State were enrolled as members, which was otherwise deemed to be an officers’ club.
Sh. Ved Bhasin, another senior member and prominent citizen, reminisces, “Such was the grandeur of the club in those days, that it was adorned with the choicest Persian Carpets, Antique Carved Wood Furniture, Wall Sized Belgian Mirrors and Crystal Chandeliers.” Some of these antiques have stood the test of time and can still be seen in the Club. Sh Bhasin remembers that in those days eminent people like the legendary Pt. Prem Nath Dogra, leader of the Praja Parishad, Sh. NH Samnani, MP and reputed journalistwere frequenting the Club regularly.
In 1959, when the popular Government decided to construct the new Secretariat, the vacant land behind the Assembly Hall was chosen as the site and the Club was shifted to a small building at Kachi Chawni which houses the Ranbir Library today.
Finally, the Club undertook another journey, this time to a small building in Bikram chowk in 1963-64 and this happens to be it’s current location. From it’s inception to the Eighties, the club remained mostly a male domain. Participation of ladies and families was minimal. There were exceptions, though, and Ms. S W Shaw, educationist and Principal of Women’s College was even in those days a regularmember.
The main impetus to bring this club at par with other reputed clubs in the country came in the Nineties, when overall development in a focused manner was undertaken. New structures like the Card Room, Family Lounge and Restaurant were added by the then committee. Ladies and families started participating in Club activities. Slowly the club started being known as a family place and the previous image of being a watering hole for drinkers and card players was erased.
The Executive Committee of the time had tried its best to take this club tot new heights and the development done is there all to see. and all this has been done solely from the members’ contribution and no financial grant in aid has ever been given to this club from the government. We have tried to acquaint our members especially the newer members with the history of the institution which is so dear to all of us.